GeoMonsters will no longer work as the university course it was being developed for has finished and the back-end has been removed.
I currently have no plans to rebuild the backend elsewhere or to continue development on GeoMonsters, though once I finish university I may revisit it.
GeoMonsters is a GPS-based mobile version of the popular Nintendo game Pokémon. The game centres around the Pokédex, a device that records data on every Pokémon that you encounter in your travels. The aim of GeoMonsters is to complete your Pokédex by collecting data on all 151 Pokémon; as your location changes, so does your location in the Pokémon world and therefore the Pokémon that you are able to find.
When you open GeoMonsters, it will take your current location and derive your location in the Pokémon world from it. You can then search for wild Pokémon, and depending on your location and a little bit of luck, a wild Pokémon will appear, and its data will be added to your Pokédex.
As your location changes, so will your location in the Pokémon world, and therefore the wild Pokémon that you can encounter. The more you move, the more Pokémon that you can find!
I am developing GeoMonsters as an Android app for my university course NWEN304 - Advanced Networking Applications. It is still under heavy development but I need your help to find all of the bugs and improve the overall quality of the app.
Currently, your location in the Pokémon changes roughly every 5km. This may be too large (or too small) but we'll see how it goes for now. GeoMonsters makes use of a web service in order to determine your location in the Pokémon world, and the wild Pokémon that you see, which means that in order to use it, you will need to have some sort of data plan, or a wireless network that you can use.
If you encounter any bugs, or have any feedback, please contact me via e-mail/text/facebook/twitter/in person and let me know. In case of bugs, it would be helpful to know exactly what you did when the bug occured and how to replicate it, if possible. (If you have access to the error logs, then a stack trace would be perfect.)
Because you people are being nice and beta-testing this for me, this version of the app only has a 5 second cooldown between searching for wild Pokémon. The finished version will have 30 seconds.
P.S. The current icon is terrible. If anyone has any ideas or thinks they can make a better one, please let me know.
TL;DR: Tell me about bugs, download below.
All enquiries/comments/feedback/complaints/chocolate fish can be sent to email@example.com.
GeoMonsters.apk (2.6 MiB)
9th June 2012 @ 9:30pm
- Fixed bug with "Unable to get location" message showing up too often.
- Improved communications with the server.
- Overall code improvement and tidying.
- Updated about text to include version.
6th June 2012 @ 11:23pm
- Reworded some error messages.
- Fixed Pokédex GUI bug.
- Added number of Pokémon seen to Pokédex.
4th June 2012 @ 10:50pm
- This version was built on a different computer to the previous version, so it might require you to uninstall the old version first.
- Fixed bug which may have made getting Pokémon and location to not work. Sorry!
- Fixed Pokédex syncing.
- Re-fixed bug with location name not showing on load.
- Made the about button smaller.
1st June 2012 @ 6:48pm
- This version was built on a different computer, so it might require you to uninstall the old version first.
- Improved Pokédex GUI.
- Fixed proportions of splash screen.
- Optimized database queries.
- Upgraded server communications.
- Improved error handling and offline mode detection.
- Fixed error in legal text.
- Added ability to catch Pokémon in offline mode.
- Fixed bug with Pokédex not updating.
30th May 2012 @ 10:51pm
- Added ranking to stats. This is your ranking amongst all users that have caught more than one Pokémon.
- Made stats appear in the correct order. This change will cause stats to display an error on old version of the app.
- Added a timeout for connections that take a long time (> 10 seconds).
- Fixed bug where current location was "loading..." even though the location had been loaded.
- Minor UI tweaks.
30th May 2012 @ 5:30pm
- Fixed syncing Pokédex with server.
- Fixed "Number of users" stat being inconsistent with other stats.
- Re-did the look of the Pokédex screen (thanks Cam!).
- Replaced info icon.
- Implemented "about" button (the info icon).
- Added ID and ID Type to the about screen.
- Added basic legal information.
29th May 2012 @ 11:13pm
- Added syncing Pokédex with server. This means that if you lose your phone/change phones, then you won't lose the Pokémon you've seen.
- Re-added forcing getting the current location, it's more accurate this time. Tap the current location to force a get of the current location.
- Removed special areas like my house; it forces me to play the game properly.
- Added more statistics.
28th May 2012 @ 10:18pm
- Replaced "Sync Pokédex" button with "Statistics" button.
- Added basic statistics functionality, currently only displays number of users.
- Fixed bug where exiting the wild Pokémon dialog with the back button would prevent you from being able to search again.
- Fixed bug in Pokédex where Bulbasaur would show up as not seen even when it had been seen.
- Updated client-side location calculation to not use stale locations.
- Removed forcing update of location as it wasn't very accurate. Location will only change now when you move a decent distance (> 50 meters).
- Tweaked locations so they should be closer to 5km in width/height.
- Made the app force portrait mode, as landscape had GUI bugs.
- Changed the icon.
28th May 2012 @ 9:05am
- Fixed bug where double-tapping the Search button allowed you to search twice.
- Fixed bug where app would crash when Searching for a Pokémon.
28th May 2012 @ 12:16am
- Initial version for beta-testing.
- Gets location in the Pokémon world.
- Can search for wild Pokémon.
- Pokédex to see which Pokémon have been seen.
- Pokédex persists between launches of the app.
- Error handling for (hopefully) all possible cases, e.g. not having a SIM card, not having a data connection etc.